Small and Medium Business Security: Are You Weakening Your Physical Security?
Are you unknowingly inviting crime into your business? It is a real possibility and one you should consider. Every day, small and medium businesses in New Orleans encounter crimes that could have been avoided if they had taken the right measures. It’s time to upgrade your small and medium business security systems.
Not Having The Right Technologies in Place
We can’t escape the headlines- crime rates are up in New Orleans, and businesses must have the right technologies in place to protect their employees, customers, and assets. It is important to understand that no one technology or practice can protect your business alone. For physical security to be effective, it must be layered.
To protect your business more effectively, consider implementing:
- Commercial Video Surveillance
- Access Control
- Intrusion Alarms
Common Ways Your Physical Security May Be Weakened
Even the most sophisticated security technologies, such as access control and video surveillance, can be rendered ineffective if not used properly.
Here are some common scenarios where well-meaning employees can put your business at risk.
- One employee holding a door open for another to a restricted area, bypassing access control.
- Bypassing access control measures during shift changes for the sake of speed or convenience
- Propping secured doors open for deliveries from vendors
- Leaving doors open during deliveries unattended
- Not securing sensitive areas when taking breaks
- Leaving doors and windows unlocked
- Failing to turn on security systems
Unfortunately, malicious insiders, such as staff who have been demoted, reprimanded, or placed on probation, can also pose an intentional threat to your business.
- Coworker sabotage
- Deliberately leaving storage areas open and vulnerable
- Not correcting or addressing security gaps
- Making data vulnerable
- Stealing customer information
- Providing an opportunity for others to do harm
Most security incidents can be prevented with stronger physical security controls such as regular training, background checks, and “see it report it” programs. In addition to implementing physical security systems and best practices training, it is highly recommended to have a commercial security professional evaluate your security system to make recommendations.
Security Systems New Orleans – Small and Medium Business
If you are looking for “Commercial security systems near me,” look no further than ABC Fire and Burglar Alarm. As a locally owned and operated home security company, ABC Fire and Burglar Alarm proudly serves New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Laplace, Destrehan, Luling, Houma, Harvey, Gretna, Belle Chasse, Chalmette, Slidell, Mandeville, Covington, Hammond, and surrounding areas.
For more information, contact us today to receive a free security quote.