October is National Crime Prevention Month
At ABC Fire and Burglar Alarm, we care about the safety and well-being of our community. We take that very seriously and know you do, too. In honor of National Crime Prevention Month, we would like to provide the top ways you can help reduce crimes in New Orleans.
What is Crime Prevention?
First, you might be wondering what exactly crime prevention is. Crime Prevention comprises strategies and measures that seek to reduce the risk of crimes occurring and their potentially harmful effects on individuals and society, including fear of crime, by intervening to influence their multiple causes.
Top Ways to Prevent Crime
The best way to begin to implement crime prevention methods is by looking at your home, business, and personal practices as if you were an offender. Identify the weak spots, vulnerable areas, and concealment points and prioritize the areas for improvement.
Make your home or business harder for an offender to access.
- Upgrade locks on doors, windows, gates, garages, and outbuildings.
- Implement intrusion alarm systems and access control.
Keep potential targets out of view.
- Never leave valuable items in plain view of a window or open a door.
- Do not store valuable items in cars.
- Park cars in the garage.
- Be cautious about displaying pictures of the home or work environment online.
Reduce the Means
Remove items that can help an offender commit a crime.
- Do not leave ladders or chairs outside, as they can help offenders gain access to the second-story windows.
- Keep tools put away in a locked garage or shed.
- Never leave keys in the car.
Reduce the Payoff
Reduce the profit the criminal can make from the offense.
- Never buy stolen goods.
- Report suspicious activity.
- Mark property so that it clearly looks owned by someone.
Increase the Risk
Make the risk of getting caught greater than the reward.
- Remove barriers that provide places to hide.
- Implement video surveillance.
- Use security alarm systems and professional monitoring.
- Establish or participate in neighborhood watch programs.
- Add motion-censored lighting with an audio alert.
- Make sure all areas of the property/facility has adequate lighting.
- Use smart technologies to simulate occupancy.
Looking For Security Systems Near Me?
If you are looking for security systems in New Orleans, look no further than ABC Fire and Burglar Alarm. We connect and configure all your equipment to work together, using advanced installation apps and other tools so that you can get the most from your security system.
About ABC Fire & Burglar Alarm- Home Security Systems New Orleans
As a local New Orleans company with over 20 years of experience, ABC Fire and Burglar Alarm is dedicated to protecting families and businesses in our community. We proudly service the New Orleans metropolitan area, including New Orleans, Metairie, Kenner, Destrehan, Luling, Houma, Gretna, Belle Chasse, Chalmette, Slidell, Covington, Hammond, Laplace, and surrounding areas. Contact ABC Fire & Burglar Alarm at 504-889-9795
For more information, contact us today to receive a free quote.